A UGA Small Business Development Center (SBDC) Business Consultant is a public service faculty position reporting to the Area Director. The person is responsible for providing counseling and delivering programs to individuals, businesses, communities, and organizations in their assigned geographic territory. This charge requires a broad base of business knowledge, excellent analytical skills, and the ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously. These duties require the integration of business theory and practice, thus necessitating professional development activities. Multi-county travel is required.
- Provide high quality individual instruction and educational support to entrepreneurs, business owners, and business managers. Analyze situations, make recommendations, and educate clients with regard to business plans, market feasibility, financial viability, operations management, and legal structures, to name but a few topics. Maintain an appropriate level and mix of clients as noted by annual goals and strategic plan objectives. Responsible for developing and refining a consulting practice that yields impactful results.
- Develop and deliver high quality business training programs that are responsive to the needs of the business community served. Generate curricula for business programs, seminars, conferences, etc. for the local business interests.
- Determine and initiate, topics, agendas, instructors, instructional materials, location, time and other resources required. Create and produce instructional materials. Serve as an instructor of business training programs and secure qualified outside instructors, as needed. Effectively market business training programs within assigned communities, so as to meet annual goals.
- In addition to maintaining a broad base of business knowledge, develop specific and relevant area(s) of expertise within the arena of business development. Apply this knowledge through development and delivery of new training programs, consulting tools, research projects, co-consulting and/or other impact measures.
- Direct clients to other appropriate sources of business information and assistance. Disseminate pertinent information to the business community via various media.
- Serve as an advocate of business development, expansion and retention in the area, thereby becoming a visible leader in the local business community. Work collaboratively with private-sector businesses, other economic development assistance units of the University System, and other units of State Government to further the economic well-being of Georgia¿s citizens.
Public Relations –
- Engage in public relations activities such as, speeches, presentations, active committee participation, and direct discussions.
- Assist in the continued development, implementation, and updating of the organization¿s strategic plan. Ensure that organizational goals and objectives are accomplished in a timely and thorough manner. Work with colleagues to develop and deploy annual action and marketing plans that align with the organizational strategic plan, are tailored to meeting the specific small business needs within the assigned geography, and capitalize on the skills of SBDC personnel. Prepare and execute individual work plans, including professional development initiatives, which align with area office objectives.
- Support organizational improvement efforts through active involvement with internal committees, center reviews, special projects, and various assessments as directed by the state office.
- Actively participate in the development and execution of sponsorship acquisition strategies in support of area office and state goals. Initiate co-sponsorship of programs with private businesses, economic development organizations, and other government entities. Seek and apply for grants relevant to entrepreneurship and business development.
Master’s degree in Business or related field
Other Required Qualifications
Multi-county travel is required.
Applicable experience of three years
A broad base of business knowledge, marketing experience