Consultants & Staff
Carole Arnold is the Program Coordinator for the UGA SBDC at Kennesaw State University. She previously worked as a marketing and logistics manager for the Center for Sustainable Journalism at Kennesaw State University on its journalism projects, Youth Today and the Juvenile Justice Information Exchange (JJIE.org) and numerous conferences and events. For the last four years, Carole handled programming and production of SoCon, a well-known annual social media conference series held at Kennesaw State University that brings hundreds of professionals from around the Southeast. Previous to her position at the Center, Carole was the Operations Support Manager for an advertising and marketing agency that specialized in real estate development. She has developed a versatile skill set including marketing communications and project management. Ms. Arnold holds a Bachelor of Arts from University of South Florida in International Studies.
BA, University of South Florida (International Studies)
Phone: (470) 578-6450
Andy Fried has over twenty-five years experience in the financial, retail and real estate sectors. He began his career as a CPA with Laventhol and Horwath in New York. In 1984, Mr. Fried became owner and President of a retail business with locations throughout the New York tri-state area. Andy sold his retail interests and moved to Atlanta where he became an owner, manager and agent of commercial real estate properties.
- M.B.A, Accounting, University of Rochester
- B.A., Economics, Hobart & William Smith Colleges
- 2012 UGA SBDC Consultant of the Year
- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 UGA SBDC Flewellen Award for Consulting Excellence
- QuickBooks Certified Pro Advisor
- National presenter on topics including: cash flow, financial management; strategy; pricing
- Innovation of the Year Award, 2016 ‘Wise & Shine’ program
- Georgia Mentor Protégé Connection ‘Impact Award’ 2016
- MULTI-UNIT RETAILER
- COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE INVESTMENTS
Phone: (470) 578-6450
Daniel has been at the SBDC as a Business Consultant since September 2018 after a successful Banking career and Retail career. Daniel served as a Loan Officer for Consumer loans and Mortgage, Senior VP of Commercial Lending, Business Development Officer for Government Guaranteed Loans (SBA-USDA), as well as a Bank Branch Manager. Prior to his banking career, Daniel was in retail operations, moving up to Regional Sales Manager with Edison Brothers, covering fifteen stores over three states. He managed stores in Oklahoma, Louisiana, Texas and Missouri before his promotion to Regional Manager -Southeast region.
Daniel joined Bank of America in 1996, and was the recipient of several awards, including Small Business Administration awards for three consecutive years and top 1% Business Banker for three years. Daniel was a VP, Client Manager, and had both his Series 6 and 63 licenses. He worked for various banks, until 2009, when he left United Community Bank as a Senior Vice President. He spent the next three years in the Insurance industry, before starting his own Business Services Company, and returned to Lending in 2014.
Having received his Associates Degree from Reinhardt University after high school, he returned to college while at Bank of America and finished his Bachelor Degree in 2001 at Covenant College. He would return to finish his Master of Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting in 2016 from Benedictine University. Daniel has recently achieved Certification as a Pro Advisor for QuickBooks and is a Certified Professional for the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM).
Daniel strives to give back to the community and continues to work with many nonprofit organizations. Daniel was a co-founder of the Bartow Business Association and served as the first President; served as an Advisory Board member for 8 years for the Adult Education Program for the State of Georgia, Region 42; and as Chairperson and Board member for the Bartow Collaborative/Family Connections. Daniel is a graduate of the Cartersville/Bartow Chamber of Commerce Leadership program, and is very active in his church.
- MBA, Benedictine University (Accounting)
- BS, Covenant College (Organizational Management)
- AA, Reinhardt University (Liberal Arts)
- UGA SBDC (Business Consultant)
- C7a/Celtic Bank (SBA Development Officer)
- FSG Bank (Loan Originator & Branch Manager)
- Edison Brothers (Regional Sales Manager & Regional Manager)
- Bank of America (Vice President- Client Manager)
- SBA Awards three years in a row while at Bank of America
- Top 1% of Business Bankers while at Bank of America
- Bartow Business Association (Co-Founder, Past President, & Past Treasurer)
- State of Georgia Adult Education Program (Region 42 Advisory Board Member)
- Bartow Collaborative/Family Connections (Past Board Member)
- Bartow Leadership Program (Graduate)
Phone: (470) 578-6450
Dan was raised in an Entrepreneurial home where his family owned and farmed a 200 acre Agribusiness. Growing up in this environment made him realize that hard work, investing in a quality product (produce) branding and personal selling fosters success in a business and in life.
He is a first generation college graduate and was drafted into the United Sates Army shortly after graduation. He trained as a Military Policeman and served 16 months of duty in Korea. Upon return he entered a career in the supermarket industry first in upstate NY and then with a chain of stores with a home office in the Boston area. He enrolled in a night/weekend MBA program. After graduation, his family relocated to FL to change careers and climate.
He was hired as a business consultant at Edison Community College and then was hired as the Founding Director of the SBDC program at brand new Florida Gulf Coast University.
After a great and fulfilling career as a teacher, innovator and leader of a staff of 28, he retired and relocated to Acworth FL. He and his wife Eileen of 46 years are now investing in their new community and embrace the opportunity of now working with the SBDC program at Kennesaw.
- MBA, Plymouth State University
- BS, Alliance College (Biology, Chemistry)
- Florida SBDC at Florida Gulf Coast University (Founding Director)
- Edison Community College (Business Consultant)
- Structured an SBDC platform at FGCU, in the five county market of SW FL, to bring individual small business consulting, seminars, workshops and training to assist businesses start, grow and succeed
- Created and organized focus groups titled “Best of Nascent and Existing Entrepreneurs to Foster Creativity and Development”
- Developed a relationship with Chambers of Commerce and Offices of Economic Development to support and provide ongoing training and education as a resource not only to the organizations but as a tool for owners
- Received the Economic Patriotism Award from Governor Jeb Bush for dedicated work in getting entrepreneurs back in business post 9/11
- Recipient of the Champions Award from SW FL Works
- Recipient of the 4-Way Test from the Ft. Myers Rotary Club, South
- Created the Distinguished Entrepreneur of SW FL Program to showcase successful local entrepreneurs in a jump start initiative, post 2008 economic downturn
- Consulted with over 2,000 entrepreneurs and dedicated numerous hours in educating and developing small businesses
Phone: (470) 578-6450
Drew Tonsmeire serves as the Area Director with the University of Georgia SBDC at Kennesaw State University. In 2014, the KSU SBDC was recognized by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) as the Southeastern United States winner of the SBDC Excellence and Innovation Award, (similar to the Small Business of the Year award).
With more than twenty-one years’ experience within the UGA SBDC organization, his consulting expertise in strategic marketing, financial packaging, and overall business management has impacted thousands of business owners. His background includes service as President and CEO of a local Chamber of Commerce, as well as, experience in retail, manufacturing, and service environments.
Drew is also a certified instructor for Google, eBay University, and GrowSmart. Mr. Tonsmeire was a recipient for the 2014 Best Continuing Education Program and the 2011 Project of the Year Award for his team contributions in digital marketing training and consulting initiatives. Drew was also recognized as the 2004 Consultant of the Year by the UGA SBDC. He serves as Chair for America’s SBDC conference, which brings together over 1500 SBDC professionals from across the United States for advanced training annually.
- MBA, GEORGIA STATE UNIVERSITY (Marketing)
- BBA, UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA (Marketing)
- AA, OXFORD COLLEGE OF EMORY UNIVERSITY (Business Administration)
- CARTERSVILLE-BARTOW COUNTY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE (President & CEO)
- Certified Google Small Business Trainer
- Certified eBay Education Specialist
- GrowSmart Facilitator
- FastTrac Facilitator
- UGA SBDC Consultant of the Year 2004
- America’s SBDC State Star 2005
- UGA SBDC Project of the Year Winner 2011
- UGA SBDC Best Continuing Education Winner 2014
- Chair, America’s SBDC Professional Development and Conference Committee
- Kennesaw State University Economic Development Committee
- Cobb County Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
- Cobb Competitive Edge Seed 2 Committee Member
Phone: (470) 578-6450
- 22 Apr 02:16 pm
Roswell equipment makers Andal and Balu Balasubramanian are feeding the foodie revolution now raging from coffee shops...
- 26 Mar 12:13 pm
Former University of Georgia business dean, William C. Flewellen, Jr., 100 years-of-age, passed away Tuesday, March 12,...
- 9 May 05:24 pm
Throughout the year, there are many consultants that go above and beyond “the call of duty,” to...
- 28 Feb 04:57 pm
Entrepreneurial ventures provide hundreds of thousands of jobs in Georgia for both business owners and employees. Small...
- 21 Dec 10:56 am
The UGA SBDC helped catapult “The Elf on the Shelf” to stardom. Here’s how: Since helping...
Strategically Grown: Operational Assessment First Step to Optimizing Expansion of Atlanta Gelato Business28 Aug 11:09 am
Wes Jones and Jackson Smith grew up as best friends in their north Atlanta neighborhood. At some...
- 28 Aug 11:04 am
Who would have thought that an idea in 1975, promoted by William C. Flewellen, Jr., former Dean...
- 20 Feb 10:59 am
Each year, over six million new businesses launch and millions more grow. Join us in celebrating entrepreneurs...
- 3 Jan 05:31 pm
Starting a business involves planning, making key financial decisions and completing a series of legal activities. These...
- 13 Sep 01:05 pm
James Wilson and George Kelling, two brilliant social psychologists, published their “broken windows theory of urban decay”...