The University of Georgia Small Business Development Center (SBDC) seeks an experienced management professional to serve as a Business Advisor in North Georgia (Ellijay and surrounding counties). Applicants must have a good working knowledge of business principals and should also possess knowledge of the North Georgia economic development community, the ability to network and problem-solving skills. If you are looking for a career that will enable you to engage in business development efforts while helping grow your community’s next generation of successful entrepreneurs, you might enjoy working at the University of Georgia. Our team works with a wide variety of businesses, helping owners overcome challenges and pursue their goals of growth and profitability. The position’s starting salary is $60,000 and includes a generous benefits package (health, dental, vision, life, disability, etc.) and two retirement plan options. The University of Georgia contributes to retirement plans at different rates according to the plan selected (defined contribution plan – ORP 9.24% | defined benefits package – TRS 16.81%). For more information about our benefits, visit our Benefits Snapshot page
The Business Advisor is a position reporting to the UGA SBDC Rome office. The person in this position is responsible for identifying consulting, training and research resources for communities, organizations and individuals in North Georgia. This individual will assist communities in areas of business development, creation, retention, and expansion. The Advisor delivers information and technical expertise to assist in planning and implementing entrepreneur development strategies. This responsibility includes linking the SBDC and other university, as well as federal and state government programs, with local development groups and businesses. This charge requires the ability to work creatively and independently. Must be skilled communicator, capable of leading high-quality training programs and facilitating meetings and group discussions. Extensive day travel required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide individual instruction to entrepreneurs, business owners, business managers, and others on business planning, market feasibility, operations management, financial projections, and lending procedures, to name but a few topics.
- Develop and deliver business-training programs that are responsive to the needs of the business community served. Generate curriculum for business programs, seminars, conferences, etc. Help local field offices determine topics, agendas, instructors, and instructional materials. Serve as an instructor or facilitator for these programs. Evaluate programs’ effectiveness and make necessary modifications.
- Initiate co-sponsorship of programs with private businesses, economic development organizations, and other government entities.
- Document activities via Unity in a timely, accurate, and comprehensive manner. Collect and transmit consolidated Unity data. Maintain adequate client files as per SBA and SBDC guidelines.
- Furnish information to Area Director for inclusion in the SBA Semi-Annual Reports and UGA Quarterly Advancement and Impact Reports.
- Perform all responsibilities efficiently and effectively within assigned division. Ensure that administrative policies are followed, that programs are innovative and responsive, and that top quality services are delivered. Utilize client and management feedback in striving for continuous improvement. Maintain positive, professional relations with other institutions.
Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field. Minimum of three years appropriate experience.
How to Apply
Use the button below to apply on the University of Georgia website directly.
Letter of Application Prompt
We believe the SBDC attracts people who are generous with their time and energy. In a word, our employees say empathy—an understanding of and service to others—is important to both their role at the SBDC and their personal life. In your letter, please describe instances where empathy is evidenced in your work and/or personal life. Additionally, please discuss why you are interested in supporting the mission and culture of our organization.
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.