Want to stay up-to-date with the SBDC’s upcoming training, organization news, and current business articles? Click the link below to read our most current newsletter. If you like it, click the button to subscribe to our mailing list so you never miss a beat!
The following links are provided for informational purposes only. Inclusion on this list does not indicate the expressed or implied endorsement of The University of Georgia Small Business Development Center.
Starting a Business
- Kauffman Foundation
- First Stop Business Information Center (Ga. Sec. of State)
Federal Government Agencies and Information
- Website to Educate Business Owners About the Affordable Care Act
- U.S. Department of Commerce
- U.S. DOL – Compliance Assistance, Employment Law Advisors, & Employment Law Guide
- U.S. Senate
- U.S. House Of Representatives
- THOMAS: Legislative Information on the Internet
- Social Security Administration
- IRS — Tax Forms and Instructions
- US Census Bureau
- United States Postal Service
- United States Department of Veterans Affairs
- U.S. Business Advisor
Patent, Copyright & Invention
Minority & Women
- Urban League of Greater Atlanta Entrepreneurship Center
- Minority Business Entrepreneur Magazine
- National Association of Women Business Owners
- National Association of Women Business Owners-Atlanta Chapter
- Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC)
- Greater Women’s Business Council (GWBC) WBENC Chapter Serving Georgia
- National Minority Supplier Development Council (NMSDC)
- Georgia Minority Supplier Development Council (GMSDC)
- Georgia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- The National Black Chamber of Commerce
- United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- United States Pan Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Minority Business Development Center— Atlanta
Disaster Assistance & Recovery
SBA Disaster Assistance: SBA provides low interest disaster loans to homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes and private, non-profit organizations to repair or replace real estate, personal property, machinery & equipment, inventory and business assets that have been damaged or destroyed in a declared disaster.
Open For Business – A Disaster Protection and Recovery Planning Toolkit for the Small to Mid-Sized Business: The Open For Business toolkit was prepared by the Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS), a nonprofit initiative of the insurance industry to reduce the social and economic effects of natural disasters and other property losses. To access the toolkit, go to: CLICK HERE
National Council on Readiness and Preparedness (NCORP) – Public/ Private Partnerships to Strengthen Homeland Security: NCORP’s mission is to establish community-level programs and public/private partnerships that strengthen homeland security through education, training and communication between citizens, businesses, governments and responders/law enforcement and medical professionals. For more information, go to: www.ncorp.org.
Other Small Business Assistance Providers
- Georgia Department of Economic Development Small Business
- Local Chambers of Commerce
- Georgia Department of Community Affairs
- Georgia Department of Economic Development
- Georgia Department of Technical and Adult Education
- U.S. Small Business Administration – Georgia District Office
- Georgia Small Business Assistance Program (Ga. Dept. of Natural Resources)
- Economic Empowerment Center (Atlanta)
- Advanced Technology Development Center
- Georgia Tech Enterprise Innovation Institute
- Georgia Centers of Innovation
- One Georgia Authority
- Veteran’s Business Outreach Center
- Georgia Tech Procurement Technical Assistance Center
- Edge Connection — SBA Women’s Business Center
- Ace — SBA Women’s Business Center
Small Business Administration Resources
The U.S. Small Business Administration has a very comprehensive website that can quickly answer many entrepreneurs’ questions.
- U.S. Small Business Administration
- SBA: Starting a Business
- SBA: Financing a Business
- SBA: Managing a Business
- SBA Government Contracting Opportunities
- SBA: Disaster Recovery
- SBA Minority Business 8(a) Program
- SBA Surety Bond Program
- SBA — Women’s Business Centers
- North American Industry Classification System
- ThomasNet – The most comprehensive resource for industrial information
- Business Directory & Search Engine
- Business Statistics
- The Entrepreneur’s Reference Guide to Small Business Information
- Small Business at USAGov
- Society of Human Resource Managers
- Kauffman Foundation
- NFIB Online
- Inc. Magazine Online
- Fortune Magazine Online
- The Better Business Bureau
- The Edward Lowe Foundation
- Entrepreneur Magazine’s Small Business Resource Center
- Microsoft Dynamics 365
- American Express Small Business Exchange
- The National Association for the Self-Employed
- Frequently Asked Questions about Small Business Finance
- This document sketches the ecosystem or life-cycle of small business financing.
- The 27 Biggest Mistakes to Avoid when Negotiating Business Debt
- These Webinars are sponsored by the Association of Small Business Development Centers and Corporate Turnaround.
- Regional Economic Business Assistance (REBA)
- From the Georgia Department of Community Affairs, contains information about various federal, state, and local financing programs that directly or indirectly benefit Georgia businesses or those businesses interested in making Georgia their home.
- Business Start-up Basics
- UGA SBDC FAQ’s
- IRS Tax Center
- Georgia Department of Revenue Forms
Is My Company Export Ready?19 May 11:53 am
The opportunities for selling products and services abroad are greater than ever for U.S. businesses. Statistics...
Funding Your Small Business23 Feb 11:10 am
Cash is to a business what oxygen is to a human…necessary for survival. Finding the needed cash...
40 Years of Small Business Development Center at UGA28 Aug 11:04 am
Who would have thought that an idea in 1975, promoted by William C. Flewellen, Jr., former Dean...
“If I Only had Known…”20 Jun 09:31 am
As one looks to enter the world of entrepreneurship or expand their current business, the question is...
Three Reasons Why You Should Buy Your First Business10 Mar 12:44 pm
When most “first time entrepreneurs” think about having their own business – they quickly default to the...
Becoming a Camera Ready Vendor: Quick Tips14 Feb 02:37 pm
If you’ve ever lingered at the close of a movie to watch the credits, you may have...
Be Smart about Starting a Business7 Dec 03:21 pm
January is the time of year when we see a lot of individuals wanting to start a...
Year End Planning for Your Small Business16 Nov 12:03 pm
The act of planning in business is often seen as something that must be done for the...
Monitor Four Critical Areas of Your Business2 Nov 01:51 pm
Here are the ONLY 4 things a small business needs to pay attention to on a daily...
Fixing the Broken Windows of Your Business13 Sep 01:05 pm
James Wilson and George Kelling, two brilliant social psychologists, published their “broken windows theory of urban decay”...
Funding Options for New or Young Farmers13 Sep 10:16 am
For many young farmers there is a deep desire to grow their farming operation, however, most are...
The Entrepreneur with 1000 Faces: A Formula for Success15 Aug 11:16 am
The entrepreneurial process can be mapped according to the same story formula that Hollywood uses in our...
Three Types of Small Businesses5 May 05:22 pm
You have a small business but you’re not making a profit and haven’t in some time. You may have...
Can I Export My Products …. and Where?5 May 04:32 pm
American companies make excellent products; they really do. And many of these products are sold all over...
Don’t Overlook These Issues When Buying a Small Business3 May 03:44 pm
The “boom” in the number of Americans reaching retirement age is driving an increase in the number of small businesses being sold...
3 Ways to Organize Your Sales Team for Success2 May 03:12 pm
One of the most common mistakes early stage entrepreneurs make is assuming that their product or service will...
Business Loan Application Tips Borrowers Can Take to the Bank2 May 02:31 pm
Whether it’s to start, operate, expand or acquire a business, capital is required. Just how much is available, and what...
Using a VRI Analysis for Strategic Planning19 Apr 03:31 pm
Why do some companies perform better than others in the same industry? A large portion of the...
How do you lead – a choice of style19 Apr 11:31 am
Recently I was teaching a class that was in part centered on organizational leadership. Of course, we...
Foreign Receivables Insurance: A Tool to Grow Your Business20 Jan 04:54 pm
If you have a business that sells product or service internationally, or if you are considering selling...
Making Something Out of Nothing – Money is No Excuse21 Dec 04:36 pm
Assisting entrepreneurs to estimate their funding needs, whether launching a new business or expanding an existing one,...
Lessons From a Small Business Owner15 Dec 10:33 am
There is certainly no shortage of business advice out there, and I read just about everything I...
Should I Have an App for My Business?14 Dec 11:36 am
In this age of handheld interaction with smartphones and tablets, businesses need to engage their customer base...
The Answers Are Different This Week18 Nov 09:18 am
“In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.” -Dwight...
The Most Important Cost You Never Consider12 Nov 04:59 pm
John is a web designer. He owns a small web design company and carefully considers the cost...
Enhancing Your Brand6 Nov 10:38 am
Your brand is what your company stands for in the mind of the customer. Many people believe...
How to Cold Call Without Feeling Awkward27 Oct 09:07 am
Small business owners have to wear several hats, one of which is salesperson. However, some, never having...
Can You Raise Money through Crowdfunding?21 Oct 10:02 am
Although there have been many successes, there is a lot of misunderstanding out there about how crowdfunding...
Know Your Numbers21 Oct 08:53 am
I recently met with a client in the specialty food business. The company, in short time, gained...
It’s Not The What, But The Why6 Oct 08:00 am
The age of the infomercial seems to be at a close. Current trends are showing consumers are...
You must be logged in to post a comment.