Want to stay up-to-date with the SBDC’s upcoming training, organization news, and current business articles? Click the link below to read our most current newsletter. If you like it, click the button to subscribe to our mailing list so you never miss a beat!
The following links are provided for informational purposes only. Inclusion on this list does not indicate the expressed or implied endorsement of The University of Georgia Small Business Development Center.
Federal Government Agencies and Information
- Website to Educate Business Owners About the Affordable Care Act
- U.S. Department of Commerce
- U.S. DOL – Compliance Assistance, Employment Law Advisors, & Employment Law Guide
- U.S. Senate
- U.S. House Of Representatives
- THOMAS: Legislative Information on the Internet
- Social Security Administration
- IRS — Tax Forms and Instructions
- US Census Bureau
- United States Postal Service
- United States Department of Veterans Affairs
- U.S. Business Advisor
- Bankruptcy Law Information
- Kauffman Foundation Entrepreneurship Law (eLaw) Website
- Nolo Press
Minority & Women
- Minority Business Entrepreneur Magazine
- National Association of Women Business Owners
- National Association of Women Business Owners-Atlanta Chapter
- Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC)
- Greater Women’s Business Council (GWBC) WBENC Chapter Serving Georgia
- National Minority Supplier Development Council (NMSDC)
- Georgia Minority Supplier Development Council (GMSDC)
- Georgia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Government Contractors Online Community
- The Air Force Outreach Program Office
- The National Black Chamber of Commerce
- United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- United States Pan Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Minority Business Development Center— Atlanta
Disaster Assistance & Recovery
SBA Disaster Assistance: SBA provides low interest disaster loans to homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes and private, non-profit organizations to repair or replace real estate, personal property, machinery & equipment, inventory and business assets that have been damaged or destroyed in a declared disaster.
Open For Business – A Disaster Protection and Recovery Planning Toolkit for the Small to Mid-Sized Business: The Open For Business toolkit was prepared by the Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS), a nonprofit initiative of the insurance industry to reduce the social and economic effects of natural disasters and other property losses. To access the toolkit, go to: CLICK HERE
National Council on Readiness and Preparedness (NCORP) – Public/ Private Partnerships to Strengthen Homeland Security: NCORP’s mission is to establish community-level programs and public/private partnerships that strengthen homeland security through education, training and communication between citizens, businesses, governments and responders/law enforcement and medical professionals. For more information, go to: www.ncorp.org.
Other Small Business Assistance Providers
- Georgia Department of Economic Development Statewide Small Business Directory
- Local Chambers of Commerce
- Georgia Department of Community Affairs
- Georgia Department of Economic Development
- Georgia Department of Technical and Adult Education
- U.S. Small Business Administration – Georgia District Office
- Georgia Small Business Assistance Program (Ga. Dept. of Natural Resources)
- Economic Empowerment Center (Atlanta)
- Advanced Technology Development Center
- Georgia Tech Enterprise Innovation Institute
- Georgia Centers of Innovation
- One Georgia Authority
- Veteran’s Business Outreach Center
- Georgia Tech Procurement Technical Assistance Center
- Edge Connection — SBA Women’s Business Center
- Ace– SBA Women’s Business Center
Small Business Administration Resources
The U.S. Small Business Administration has a very comprehensive website that can quickly answer many entrepreneurs’ questions.
- U.S. Small Business Administration
- SBA: Starting a Business
- SBA: Financing a Business
- SBA: Managing a Business
- SBA Government Contracting Opportunities
- SBA: Disaster Recovery
- The Franchise Registry, Sponsored by the Small Business Administration
- SBA Minority Business 8(a) Program
- SBA Surety Bond Program
- SBA — Women’s Business Centers
- North American Industry Classification System
- ThomasNet – The most comprehensive resource for industrial information
- Business Directory & Search Engine
- Business Statistics
- The Entrepreneur’s Reference Guide to Small Business Information
- Society of Human Resource Managers
- Kauffman Foundation
- NFIB Online
- Inc. Magazine Online
- Fortune Magazine Online
- The Better Business Bureau
- The Edward Lowe Foundation
- Entrepreneur Magazine’s Small Business Resource Center
- Microsoft Business Advantage
- American Express Small Business Exchange
- The National Association for the Self-Employed
- Frequently Asked Questions about Small Business Finance
- This document sketches the ecosystem or life-cycle of small business financing.
- The State of Georgia Small Business 2011
- Prepared by the UGA SBDC Department of Applied Research.
- The 27 Biggest Mistakes to Avoid when Negotiating Business Debt
- These Webinars are sponsored by the Association of Small Business Development Centers and Corporate Turnaround.
- Economic Development Finance Programs
- Published by the Georgia Department of Community Affairs. This document contains information about various federal, state, and local financing programs that directly or indirectly benefit Georgia businesses or those businesses interested in making Georgia their home.
- Business Start-up Basics
- UGA SBDC FAQ’s
- The 2012 Georgia Minority Supplier Directory
- The Georgia Minority Supplier Directory has proven to be an efficient tool for the identification of minority-owned subcontractors and suppliers. To include your minority-owned business in the next publication, Click Here to download an application.
- IRS Tax Center
- Georgia Department of Revenue Forms
- Financing On the Internet
- Nontraditional Financial Sources
The following articles can also be found in “blog format” be using the search bar on the right sidebar. Simply search for the title of the article you are interested in. These blog posts also have quick social sharing capability for anyone looking to share (which we highly encourage).
- Georgia’s Small Businesses Must Look to the Familiar to Make it Through Tough Times
- Ten Truths that all Small Business Owners Should Know
- Back to the Basics for Business Owners
- Making Performance Appraisals Effective
- Layoffs: An Option of Last Resort
- Survive and Thrive
- Leadership That Drags at the Top: Five Steps to Prevention for CEOs and Owners
- Focus on Your Strengths and Grow
- There is no “I” in Customer
- Partnerships and Pre-Nups: Gotta Work For That Happily Ever After
- When the Business Check Engine Light Comes On…
- Emergency Preparedness – Is Your Business Ready?
- Utilize Customer-Focused Job Descriptions
- Tell Employees What They Need to Hear
- It’s All About People!
- Employee Relations and Your Bottom Line
- SWOT Those Pesky Business Problems
- The Power of Small Business Networking
- Could a CEO Roundtable Help Your Small Business
- Never Having to Say You’re Fired!…Hiring the Right Employees
- Turnaround Management Everyday
- Organization and Structure: Aids to Productivity for Small Business
- Tools for the Toolbox: Hire Right the First Time
- A Manager’s Self-Portrait
- This Business is Ruining My Date Night: The Dynamics of a Mom & Pop Shop
- Business Survival in Tough Times
- When to Exit? A Small Business Owner’s Biggest Dilemma
- Always Think Strategically
- Decisions? Making the Right Choices!
- The Business “Map”: Don’t Leave Home Without It!
- Strategic Alliances Can Pay Dividends for Georgia’s Small Businesses
- Management Problems in Family Owned Businesses
- Franchising 101: Why Choosing a Franchise Might be Your Best Option
- MAKING AND MANAGING PROFITS
- Exit Strategies Take Time and Planning
- Ten Mistakes that Sabotage Business Success
- Work ON Your Business
- Looking for Good Employees?
- Strategic Planning for Small Businesses
- Can Entrepreneurs Delegate?
- Outsourcing Human Resources
- Suspect or Prospect?
- Small Business Marketing 101
- The New “Boomers”… Opportunity Knocks
- Marketing in a 2.0 World
- Selling to Seniors
- Your Price is the Lowest… Is That All You’ve Got?
- Advertising Success Depends on Frequency and Reach
- Home Based Business – Instant Success?
- ANALYZE THIS…Market Research Made Easy
- The Selling Process: Steps to Success
- Single Retailer Looking for Big Spending Customer
- Pin Point with Post Cards
- Be Careful What you Ask For!
- Low Cost and No Cost Marketing Strategies
- Exibiting at Trade Shows: Plan for Success
- But Will They Buy It?
- Get Ready, Get Set, Brand!
- The Customer Wants to Know……Why You?
- Turning Shoppers into Buyers…..What’s Your Batting Average?
- Getting the Most Out of Radio Advertising
- Nothing Happens Until A Sale Is Made!
- “Spend Money to Make Money”
- No One Shops on eBay Anymore, It’s Too Crowded
- One Chance to Make a First Impression
- People: The Most Important Asset of Any Company
- Getting Export Ready
- Signage 101: A Primer for Building Your Corporate Identity Through Signs
- Is It a Good Time to Start a Business?
- The Annual Industry Tradeshow – Can You Afford Not to Go?
- What Will I Do When I Grow Up?
- Should You Start a Business?
- Tough Economy Calls for Tough Decisions
- Get Certified and Grow Your Woman-Owned Business
- Evaluating Potential Locations for Your Retail Business
- Avoiding Burnout Blues
- Is Entrepreneurship for You?
- Business Blunders on the “Not So Obvious” Scale
- Your Suppliers Can Have More Affect on Profits Than Customers
- The Industrial Development Revenue Bond – A Little Known Small Business Finance Tool
- Social Networking: It Can Help and Hurt Your Business
- Emergency Preparedness – From Plan to Activation
- You’re Never to Old to Learn
- Living in Uncertain Times? Here Are Some Certain Steps You Can Take
- Made in the USA
- Location, Location, Location
- What’s Your Business Worth?
- Security Threats Challenge Small Businesses
- Is Your Customer Information Safe?
- eBay Can Help Your Small Business
- R&D Funding Main Reason For Federal Agencies Heading to Atlanta
- Building a Better Small Business Web Site
- Information Management on a Budget
- Is Your Web Site Producing Results?
- Is it E-mail or SPAM?
- E-Commerce: The ABCs of Getting Started
- 23 Feb 11:10 am
Cash is to a business what oxygen is to a human…necessary for survival. Finding the needed cash...
- 28 Aug 11:04 am
Who would have thought that an idea in 1975, promoted by William C. Flewellen, Jr., former Dean...
- 20 Jun 09:31 am
As one looks to enter the world of entrepreneurship or expand their current business, the question is...
- 10 Mar 12:44 pm
When most “first time entrepreneurs” think about having their own business – they quickly default to the...
- 14 Feb 02:37 pm
If you’ve ever lingered at the close of a movie to watch the credits, you may have...