Five Costly Mistakes Common to New Business Owners

Five Costly Mistakes Common to New Business Owners

  • Posted by Liz Overstreet
  • On February 8, 2012
Business owners often make costly mistakes while launching their businesses. It is easy to get so caught up in the excitement of starting your business that you make mistakes that could cost you a great deal of money. Here are five very common mistakes I have seen that could have been avoided with minimum cost. […]
Read More
 

Old Dog, New Tricks for Small Business Owners

  • Posted by Liz Overstreet
  • On January 26, 2012
There is an old saying that you can’t teach an old dog a new trick. As a business owner, you can’t afford to buy into that thinking. If you are not constantly reinventing yourself and your business, then chances are you will be out of business soon. I know that sounds pretty harsh but the […]
Read More
 

How Visible Is Your Small Business?

  • Posted by Liz Overstreet
  • On January 24, 2012
Customers can’t buy from you if they don’t know your business exists. This is an obvious statement, but I have found that many small business owners who are trying to increase their sales don’t realize how “invisible” their businesses are. Small business owners should spend some time investigating just how visible their business is and […]
Read More
 

5 Reasons You Have to Work With a SBDC This Year

  • Posted by Liz Overstreet
  • On January 19, 2012
According to the SBA website:  “Small Business Development Centers (SBDCs) are partnerships between the government and colleges/universities administered by the Small Business Administration and aims at giving educational services for small business owners and aspiring entrepreneurs.” If you are a business owner and you have not worked with the SBDC in the past, then 2012 […]
Read More
 

Tips to Start the New Year Off Right

  • Posted by Liz Overstreet
  • On January 13, 2012
This time of year, many small business owners are looking at how their business performed last year and trying to figure out how they can improve in the New Year. Here are some tips to help you start the New Year right with your small business. Look at how you operate your business and be […]
Read More
 

Be Proactive When Networking

  • Posted by Liz Overstreet
  • On January 11, 2012
Someone once said that “90% of life is just showing up”. Well, business networking is part of the other 10%. You may have been advised that to increase your small business’s sales you need to network with other small business owners. But just showing up at chamber meetings, association meetings, or whatever type of meeting […]
Read More
 

End-of-Year To-Do List for Small Business Owners

  • Posted by Liz Overstreet
  • On December 14, 2011
I know how hectic things are this time of year for most business owners. It is all you can do just to get things done that are needed for today. So many business owners just don’t get around to doing the little things that can save them time and/or money in the long run. For […]
Read More
 

Five Tips to Help Strengthen Your Brand

  • Posted by Liz Overstreet
  • On December 2, 2011
Many small business owners see their business in a certain way. They know what message they are trying to communicate to their customers. They know their product or service well and have researched their target market and competition to determine the most effective image to convey. But customers do not always see the business the […]
Read More
 

Ways to Save Cash

  • Posted by Liz Overstreet
  • On November 30, 2011
Recently, I was listening to a business consultant who specializes in acquisitions and turn-around situations. He noted that companies in general have a tendency to follow high growth periods with a period of increasing expenses. Many of these expenses have no relationship to the growth per se but deal directly with the sense of prosperity. […]
Read More
 

Small Mistakes Can Have a Big Impact

  • Posted by Liz Overstreet
  • On November 16, 2011
One of my favorite sayings by Yogi Berra is, “You can see a lot just by looking.” No doubt, we are all so busy that we forget to take the time to just “look” at our business.  Business owners often do or fail to do simple things that can have significant impact on their bottom […]
Read More