Area Director, Athens Office
Laura Katz is the area director of the Athens office and is a public service associate within UGA’s Public Service and Outreach unit. She has extensive experience in marketing and business development for both large corporations and small business. She has helped develop, price and bring to market new products for companies such as Motorola, Hewlett-Packard, Cisco and Levi’s. In the second part of her career, she has worked with small business owners implementing business development and marketing plans.
In 2011, Laura joined the UGA Small Business Development Center as a consultant and since then has earned several awards: UGA SBDC Consultant of the Year (2014), ASBDC State Star (2015), UGA SBDC Flewellen Awards for consulting excellence (2013, 2015, 2018) and an UGA SBDC Program Innovation of the Year Award (2017).
In 2015, Laura achieved the rank of UGA Public Service and Outreach Associate Faculty and was promoted to Athens Area Director. Katz is a nationally recognized speaker on marketing, work/life balance and agribusiness. Her program FarmSMART is implemented nationally by the SBDCs of Alabama, Mississippi and Missouri in response to the SBA’s Rural Initiative.
Laura enjoys working with small business owners, utilizing her education and experience to help transform their businesses.
- MBA (Marketing), Binghamton University
- Bachelor of Science (Organization Behavior & Leadership), Binghamton University
- Peachmac Digital, LLC (Vice President SMB Sales)
- Finger Lakes Engineering (Director of Business Development)
- Amphenol Interconnects Corp. (Product Marketing Manager)
- Paxar Corp. (Marketing Manager)
- Program Lead, “Women’s Business Expo,” Athens SBDC, full day program for 50+ women business owners with speakers, luncheon, and booths. November 30, 2012; lead role on program development based upon attendee research and organization of day’s activities.
- Invited Speaker, “Medical Practice Marketing Strategies,” developed and facilitated 2 hour program, to residents of the Mercer Medical School Practice Management Rotation program; May 2013.
- Invited Speaker, “Organizational Strategies to Enhance Work/Life Balance” developed, presented and facilitated exercises for a 1-1/2 hour program to 26 women business owners at Valdosta State University SBDC Women’s Symposium; November 2011.
- Committee Chair, “Annual Consultant’s Training 2013” for the University of Georgia Small Business Development Center statewide training conference. Over-all development and management of 6 person committee to put on 3 day statewide training conference; June 2012-May 2013.
Phone: (706) 542-7436