- BA, UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA, CHARLOTTE, NC (French)
- MBA, KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY, KENNESAW, GA (Marketing)
Sharon MacalusoArea Director
Department: DeKalb Office, Managing a Business, Marketing, Minority/Women, Planning Your Business
Prior to joining the SBDC in 1994, Ms. Macaluso held management, marketing and customer service roles with IBM and Eastern Airlines. She also worked in a family owned and operated business, a hosiery manufacturing plant. Her areas of expertise include marketing, market research, strategic planning, human resources, personal selling, customer service, and management. Sharon developed a strategic planning instrument specifically for growing small businesses and has utilized this tool in facilitating strategic planning retreats for small businesses throughout the state. Sharon has had various articles published on branding, strategic planning, customer service and women- owned business issues, and has developed guide books on market research and conducting focus group studies. She recently created and presented a program for the National Association of Small Business Development Centers on “Customer Service Excellence in a Techno-World”.
- IBM (Customer Service Manager, Trainer)
- EASTERN AIRLINES (In-Flight Services Director, Corporate Recruiter, Quality Service Manager, Marketing Associate)
- Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, 4.0 GPA in Marketing Concentration, Top 10% of all MBA Students, Kennesaw State University.
- “Outstanding Achievement Award” – IBM; “Striving for Excellence Award” – Eastern Airlines
- “Outstanding Project of the Year 2008 Portability Grant” & “Outstanding Project of the Year 2006 GWEN Conference” – UGA SBDC Statewide Project Excellence Award; “Good Works Award” – National Honor presented by SBDC Client, Bi-Co Janitorial.
- CEO ROUNDTABLE HANDBOOK Jun 2011 on Published Book
- EMBRACE THE BOUNCE Dec 2010 on Georgia Trend Small Business Guide
- MARKETING 101 FOR SMALL BUSINESSES Dec 2009 on Georgia Trend Small Business Guide
- YOU’RE NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN Dec 2008 on Georgia Trend Small Business Guide
- I AM WOMAN … WATCH ME FUSE Dec 2007 on Georgia Trend Small Business Guide
- 10 STEP STRATEGIC PLANNING RETREAT WORKBOOK Jun 2000 on Published Book
- Co-Chair Person, “SBDC GWEN Conference”, 2006, Planning Committee, 2002-2005; Chair Person, “SBDC Network Marketing Committee”, 1999; Member, “SBDC Network Marketing Committee”, 2004-2008, 2013
- Program Developer, Lead & Moderator, “Women-Owned Business Expo & Luncheon”, Villa Christina, Atlanta, GA, annual event & full day program for approximately 100 women business owners. Create program, select speakers, plan luncheon and tradeshow booths. 2010-2012.
- Invited Speaker, “Marketing with Social Media for Small Retailers,” developed and presented program for Burton+BURTON’s Ballooniversity International Conference, Atlanta, GA, May 2010.
- Juried Selection, “10 Step Strategic Planning Program for Growth Oriented & Challenged Businesses” developed, presented and facilitated training for SBDC consultants nationwide, the Association of Small Business Development Centers National Conference, Orlando Florida, September 2009.
- Committee Member & Team Lead, “Annual DeKalb County Small Business Development Conference, co-sponsored with DeKalb County Department of Economic Development, Decatur, GA 2012 – 2013
- Invited Speaker, “Strategic Planning for Growing Businesses” developed and presented seminar to business owners for the Annual DeKalb County Small Business Development Conference, hosted by the DeKalb Office of Economic Development, Decatur, GA; November 2010.